Our dentists in Chicago follow the guidelines of the American Dental Association that recommend dental exams and cleanings every six months. Seeing you regularly allows us to ensure that there are no active problems like gum disease and will enable us to treat them if there are.
6 Signs That It’s Time to See Your Dentist
If you’re between visits or haven’t seen a dentist in a while, here are some signs that it might be time to schedule an appointment.
- Your gums bleed when you brush. It isn’t normal for healthy gums to bleed and is a common sign of gingivitis or gum disease.
- It hurts when you chew. Pain when chewing can indicate many things, but it isn’t normal, and your dentist should check it out.
- You have chronic dry mouth. Certain illnesses, smoking, and medications can cause dry mouth, increasing your risk for cavities and gum disease.
- You smoke or use tobacco. Smoking is as bad for your oral health, so if you can’t quit, be sure to visit your dentist every six months.
- You have jaw pain when opening and closing your mouth. A painful TMJ (jaw joint) can be a sign of tooth grinding, infection, or a problem with the TMJ itself.
- You’re pregnant. It’s not only safe to visit the dentist when you’re pregnant, but it’s a good idea, as increased hormones put you at higher risk for gingivitis.
Schedule Your Next Dental Checkup with Us
At Wicker Park Dental Group in Chicago, we’ve created a friendly and relaxed environment where patients can feel comfortable getting the dental care they need. If you’re experiencing any of the above problems or have a dental emergency, please call us at (773) 276-5566.